Anyone else considering downsizing their Z50 to a Z30?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 2,777
Anyone else considering downsizing their Z50 to a Z30?

Given Nikon's holiday silence, other than a few price drops, and a placeholder firmware update for the II's, I have a little holiday GAS.  The Zfc/Z30 have a few key features I was hoping would make it to the Z50 via firmware. The bundle discount on the creator's kit is only $47 too.

These are all great little cameras that often exceed my expectations.  As great as my Z7II is, it hasn't exceeded my expectations.  I don't really get the negative points-of-view on APC-C or the lens selections given how many options there are.  I've been shooting DX over over 10 years with the "pro" DX bodies after all.

GAIN

• USB-C
  • 1/3 grid
  • Articulating Screen
  • Wide (L People)
    (I wonder if there are minor focus improvements in the newer model)
  • U3 (Z30)
  • I think I prefer the button layout too
    (I wasn't a fan of the soft buttons that can't fully be disabled)
  • I think it will store better without the hump and viewfinder eye-piece; especially if you put a softer/larger one on.  I'm surprised Nikon doesn't offer a few nicer option$.  (I'm going to try a hood and then a scope. I have +1 -1 near and far eye-correction so it should work better for me.)

LOSS

• EVF
    (This will be interesting because I do think it adds stability to shooting, and I'd almost rather have an EVF and NO LCD in a rangefinder.  I really don't see that ever happening though.)
  • Flash
    (I really hope we see more WARM LED flash options that are easier on batteries than strobes.  Even if the Nikon letters just lit up for AF assist.  Talk about a great party trick.)
  • 3.2 versus 3.0" LCD
    (I had no trouble with my D200's TINY LCD back in the day.)
-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
TIPS: Be kind, avoid reply with quote, and RT#M
Use the gear feature not your signature, happy shooting!
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR +8 more
Nikon Z30 Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow