90D mixed feeling, anyone else?

Started Sep 24, 2019 | Discussions thread
QuaziSanjeed
QuaziSanjeed Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: 90D mixed feeling, anyone else?

Yes, agreed. I'm a hobbyist nature, street and wildlife photographer.

I bought Canon 90D two months ago with high hopes especially, for heavy cropping of wildlife images and getting extra long reach by adding 2x converter to my EF 400mm f/5.6L and get AF in live view. Both are available. As a modern camera it incorporates many latest bells and whistles for sure.

However, I am not happy with the image quality let alone, poor low light performance. Two weeks ago I shot with my old buddies 1D Mark IV and 5D Mark II in the wilderness in Nepal. As always they didn't fail me. Didn't carry my new 90D due to lack of confidence.

Now after returning home I find after close scrutiny; the images of 90D are way less sharp compared to the images produced by the old cameras mentioned above. That's the reason why I did not part with them and won't ever.

Enclosed is a 1D Mark IV image shot at Lumbini, Nepal on 12Nov2022. (with EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II + 2x III). It's a Lesser Adjutant bird.

Next one is an image of Yellow-footed Green Pigeon shot in Dhaka with 90D on 21Nov2022. If you zoom in; you'll find the deficiency in sharpness. Also no idea about the lines across the bird's breast!

Consequently, I will be returning the 90D to the vendor shortly and try to get a used 7DII to use as backup body to 1DIV.

Perhaps, too high resolution results in poor image quality!

Hope this helps.

QuaziSanjeed's gear list:QuaziSanjeed's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 90D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
v30
v30
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow