A couple of dragonfly videos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Slaty Junior Member • Posts: 36
A couple of dragonfly videos

These two videos were taken about three years ago. The first is a short compilation of bass eating dragonflies.

The second video is much longer (7 minutes). Late one afternoon I walked down to the pond to my favorite spot to photograph dragonflies. I kept seeing this Blue Dasher leaving and returning to the same spot. Went back to the house and got my camera and tripod. The dragonfly could care less that I was setting up less than three feet from its perch. I had two legs of the tripod in the pond. This Blue Dasher was feeding on ants. During the process, it is also is having to fend off a spider which is determined to get it. Over the course of two years, I spent at least 300 hours taking photographs of dragonflies and damselflies. For me, this dragonfly feeding is the coolest thing I have seen. Using my software's timeline, the average length of time to leave and return was between 1.5 and 1.8 seconds. It was most likely getting the ants from a tree about seven feet away.

I have previously posted these videos under the username Offside. After spending about a year and a half away from this site, I tried to login in but what I was entering was not working. AT&T had also decided to lock me out of my primary email address, one I had for 14 years. That is a story too long to write. So my new persona is Slaty, as in Slaty Skimmer, a species of dragonfly.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the videos. After the first video, you may have to press escape to get out of it if viewing full screen.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow