Where do you sell your gear?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Re: Where do you sell your gear?

rntbot wrote:

Thanks to everyone that replied. I think I'm going to see what B&H will offer me for my Tamron 85mm 1.8 G2.

A tip - check the B&H used website tool for the estimate it provides. I have bought and sold many lenses and other camera gear (including stuff like projectors, film scanners, etc.). In my experience, the following would be the order of how I would like to sell:

1) Craigslist - advantage you keep the most money. Also other advantage is anonymous email exchanges so you can set up in person cash deals at a Starbucks /other coffee shop. No packing involved.

2) Ebay - advantage is easy sell but ebay fees cut into the margins.

3) Retailer like B&H - possible to sell non mainstream items which would not easily sell on craigslist or ebay. Example: I had a hardly used Zeiss 15mm f/2.8 Milvus - a beautiful lens actually that I had bought new but had got redundant after buying Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4  S and Nikon Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S. No matter what price I reduced it on Craigslist or Ebay, it just did not sell. B&H quoted price was at least a bit competitive compared to KEH and other retailers. But I did lose a fair bit on the lens.

I want to use what I make toward the Nikon 1.8 Z mount. I mainly shoot portraits and High School Basketball so I think the 85 will be the my first Z mount purchase.

Once again, thank you all.

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow