Problems with Dell XPS 15 9560 with 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Quad Core and possible upgrade to new PC

Started Nov 16, 2022 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Koz1 New Member • Posts: 11
Problems with Dell XPS 15 9560 with 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Quad Core and possible upgrade to new PC

Apologies for the long post. I have a Dell XPS 15 9560 that I purchased in early 2018. I use it for photo and video editing when travelling and it has generally worked well since I have had it. A few months ago I reinstalled Windows 10 after a couple of issues like getting the blue screen of death intermittently and the USB-C port stopping working properly. After the reinstall in August it has worked well for a few months but it is now running very slow. We are currently away from home on a driving trip and over the last couple of weeks it is now taking a long time to download photos from CF-Express cards through a ProGrade card reader connected to either the USB-C or USB-A ports. If I view photos, even jpg files, as each photo loads it takes a while for each photo to display correctly on the screen, with a line running down the screen as the photo displays and the image quality improves as the line gets to the bottom. I can no longer view 4K videos from my Canon R5, GoPro Hero 10 or Thinkware dashcam – videos run very slow and won’t play correctly. Opening programs also take a while for them to open.

I’ve read various suggestions on solving Windows slowness problems and made sure all Dell and Windows drivers etc are up to date and yesterday I ran a Dell F12 pre-boot system assessment and it came up with an error – ePSA 4306.17 Warning ‘The battery is nearing the end of its usable life’ but I didn’t finish all of the tests then since there were loud beeping noises coming through while the tests were running and I didn’t want to disturb people in the next room so I’ll try the tests again when I’m staying somewhere else and will keep trying to work out what I can do to try to fix it. The memory and display tests seemed to pass the tests.

This Dell XPS 15 9560 has a 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Quad core processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz), 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 with 4GB GDDR5 and a 1TB PCIe SSD.

I am hoping that I can get this Dell notebook PC fixed, but at nearly 5 years old maybe I should be looking at a new PC. I don’t know what a new battery will cost to get fitted or what else may be wrong if the problems are hardware related. I’ve mostly run this PC on AC power so that may have caused the battery to deteriorate.

I’ve been looking at the latest Dell XPS 15 laptops. The newest ones I am looking at are an XPS 15 with 12th Gen i7-12700H (24 MB cache, 14 cores, 20 threads up to 4.70 GHz Turbo) or i9-12900 HK with the same and up to 500GHz Turbo).

Would I notice much improvement over a 5 year old XPS 15 with a 7th Gen i7-7700HQ Quad core? I can’t upgrade my XPS 15 9560 to Windows 11 since Microsoft only allow upgrades from Windows 10 to 11 on 8th Gen and newer, which won’t be a problem yet but will eventually, when Microsoft stop support for Windows 10. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions you can offer.

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow