R6 with EF 100-400mm II and TC EF 1.4x III for wildlife?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,566
to: XN_Stein - re: Topaz Labs software ...

XN_Stein wrote:

Hi Macro, I am really excited to see that all this photos came from the R6. It helps to convince myself that the R6 is indeed sufficient to shoot wildlife. Initially, I have concerns that the 20 megapixel sensor is too little for cropping. I see that you have cropped some of the photo you posted to 6MP and the details was still sharp. ๐Ÿ˜†

I don't usually crop my images with the exception of the occasional lunar photograph (if the moon looks too small or if I need to better frame the scene due to trees etc).  I prefer to try to frame the subject properly in camera.  So those images were resized to 3000 and 5000 pixels, depending on the monitor I was editing the images on.  The animal and bird shots are not cropped.  No sharpening was applied and noise reduction was selectively applied to two background, one with the moon against a blue sky and another with a bird in the frame.

Just curious, had you try any software e.g. Topaz to up resolution the images from R6? Any idea how was the result like? Thank you.

TOPAZ LABS software...
I bought Topaz Labs "GIGAPIXEL A.I." and "SHARPEN A.I." along with "DeNOISE A.I.". a while back.  These came as a triple pack although you can buy them separately.  Because I bought the three-pack, they recently let me download the new PHOTO A.I. software but I personally don't like that software as much.  I only tend to use PHOTO A.I. for upscaling images downloaded off the internet.
The three original Topaz Labs apps can act as a Photoshop filter but each program also runs as a stand alone program on your computer.  It's fairly easy to use and you just drop and drag images into the program and save them as needed.  If new to the software, try to edit a duplicate to avoid overwriting an original image by accident.
I've used earlier Noise Reduction software by Topaz Labs for many years.  But the Gigapixel AI is pretty darned useful.  Sharpen AI is practical if there's a slight amount of motion blur from camera shake of if something is out of focus.

EOS R6 + EF 100-400mmL II lens
Original image (uncropped)

EOS R6 + EF 100-400mmL II lens
Cropped insert - enlarged further with Topaz Labs "Gigapixel"

One of the more practical uses of Gigapixel is enlarging small images.  This is a scanned photograph shot on 35mm film of my wife taken when we met 20+ years ago that was scanned on an ancient flatbed scanner at a pathetic resolution of just around 480 pixels wide back in 2001.  It had been enlarged again in 2007.  I then enlarged it again recently with Gigapixel A.I.

I just printed a book for family with 20 years of pictures of our recently deceased cat Mauii.  Most of the images were upscaled in Topax Gigapixel A.I. before printing.  The results were excellent.  Some of the images were very low resolution and originals were unavailable.

A perfectly clean JPEG image from the EOS R6 + RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens - after I upscaled it by 4x (400%) in Topaz Labs GiGAPIXEL - before reducing the image to 5000 pixels for online posting.  This was just a test to see if image quality would be affected.

Taken in 2009 with permission from Lucasfilm, I photographed this vintage model of Luke Skywalker's X-Wing Fighter from the original Star Wars movie in 1977.  The original image was poorly exposed as this was taken with a point-and-shoot PowerShot S400 camera.  But GiGAPIXEL and DeNOISE and SHARPEN A.I. worked quite well to add clarity to the image and allowed me to resurrect it for use elsewhere.

Sharpening an image of my wife that was out of focus using Sharpen A.i.  - she was crossing a road at the time and there was just a little bit of blur and misfocus.   .
I find that the EOS R6 at 20.1MP is more than ideal for most work and Canon used to advertise this as the ideal resolution for Wildlife photography.  Around 2017, 20.1MP was considered a high resolution sensor.  I haven't had a need to upscale many pictures from the EOS R6.  If printing a large image for a poster or publishing something in high resolution, I might consider it.
I've seen images of people online that were shot with this camera and used for Billboards on the side of the road without using anything other than Photoshop to resize them.  But if you want to increase the resolution further you can certainly upscale the image without any problems.  Clean images are always much easier to work with if you do. If you want to see a clean image from my R6 for comparing detail and resolution, there's one below.

EOS R6 + RF 85mm f/1.2L USM lens + CPL filter (Handheld JPEG), An uncropped, unedited image from the EOS R6 that was shot in JPEG and uploaded just as an image sample. NOTE: You may need to download the original image to avoid compression from this website.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow