Question to those who own the EF 35mm F/2 IS USM lens

Started Sep 19, 2022 | Discussions thread
deanmejos Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: EF 35mm F/2 IS.. BETTER than my EF 24-150 F/4 IS Mk ii

hello! long time 35/2 IS USM user here (had it since 2018) and I can say with conviction that it is miles ahead of the 50/1.8 STM.  don't let the price difference fool you.  the 50 STM is just so cheap that's why it makes a case for itself but the 24/28/35 IS USM lenses released by Canon some time ago are really good.  I agree that the 50 STM is kind of dull, uninteresting and just meh.  I kinda regret selling my 50 1.4 USM for it when I was in a bit of a bind that time.

I will say that the 35/2 IS USM is surely not an L lens in disguise not because of the lack of weather sealing, but simply because it does not have the punch and pop of L lenses.  it can be close (depending how you define close) to an L but you'll still see a difference when you use an L.  I don't really use the IS of this lens for photo since I'm usually at over 1/125 SS but I have found the IS helpful for some family videos I've shot at home.

For me, the only thing I dislike about it is the fuzzy bokeh which it probably inherited from the original 35/2 of Canon.  I thought about the Sigma 35/1.4 Art but was discouraged by the potential AF issues.  the Mk I and Mk II L are just too expensive for me especially since I'm just a hobbyist photographer anyway.

Although many people say you should go for the 35/85 combo, I've been working with a 35/100 combination for a long time and I'm quite used to it. I am considering a 70-200 f/4 IS USM to add to the kit since they're all 67mm filters.

deanmejos's gear list:deanmejos's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow