What are your plans about the M mount situation. Poll

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,566
Why my iPhone has replaced my M-series cams...

bgreg wrote:

I also have never owned a smartphone . I've never used a phone for photography and I'm not even sure I can relate to people who do. ...

*No idea why the text is all in Bold this week.... must be a glitch on DPreview.
Smartphone photography is a simple affair. It's pretty cool to see what they can produce with those tiny little lenses. The one thing people discovered during lockdown in Australia (and numerous other countries) was that without a smartphone you couldn't present your vaccination status to gain entry to a building or a business. For a while, people who didn't own a Digital Certificate that they could present were permitted to show a printed certificate from a doctor. But recently, even the local hospitals were blocking anyone from entering unless they had a Digital certificate on their phone. The paper printouts were no longer acceptable. Too many people were printing fraudulent documents. Anyone caught with a fake digital version faced prison.
What this did was force the members of the population to purchase a modern smartphone. Those who already used one were probably fine. Public transport was now accepting payment by Smartphone and now we have Digital Driver's Licenses in place of the old plastic version.

Straight out of my iPhone 13 Pro Max smartphone

So now, the rest of society has come to embrace the smartphone. And modern smartphones like the Google PIXEL or the new iPhone 13 and 14 Pro models (just to name a few obvious models) can take a photograph that easily rivals those from an APS-C mirrorless camera - assuming extremes are not required.  In the last year, this technology was tweaked and polished even more. Now you can take a picture at night and the Smartphones can use computational methods to capture an image that looks like it was shot with a tripod. Now there's a Macro lens built into your camera. And a wide-angle lens. And they can produce an artificial Depth Of Field with flattering Bokeh for "Portrait shots" using the LIDAR device on the Smartphone to calculate which parts of the image to blur.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - literally the type of shot I'd be using my EOS M6 for.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - It's handy that the phone produces two images to work with... one with and one without any artificially applied bokeh.  If something gets missed by the phone's processor you can blend the two images and find any missing details.
iPhone 13 Pro Max - (edited as an experiment)

iPhone 13 Pro Max - literally just "point and shoot"

Every year this is improved upon. Some smartphones and even the latest iPhones are now capable of high megapixels capability. 4K Video is a breeze. This is one of the last nails in the coffin for all camera manufactures. Their previous marketing methods and in-camera features are all going to be retired for what comes next. That this can all slide into your top pocket whilst holding and displaying tens of thousands of your photographs in an orderly manner - and at the same time offer internet communication and a digital wallet... means the smartphone of today is a small and slender thing that slides into your top pocket. They're waterproof and damage resistant and they cost a lot less than many DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. There's a lot in favor of the smartphone from 2022.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - Fake bokeh with accurately simulated depth mapping

iPhone 13 Pro Max - Literally point and shoot.

What these smartphones do with their inbuilt cameras is "good enough" for the majority of users to use. That's the expression that so many use to describe their opinion when asked why they prefer their smartphone over a dedicated cameras. They aren't rushing out anymore to grab a decent camera from the stores. They don't have to borrow one from a friend or relative.  Even Journalists are now shooting and filming with their smartphones, which is somewhat surprising since image integrity is important to them. I saw a travel catalogue and an article in National Geographic last year that were both shot using a smartphone.
Within another year we'll see the technology advance yet again with new types of high capacity batteries and new types of lens elements that will enable optical zooming using methods not yet seen by the general consumer. There's always going to be someone who needs more control, greater resolution, better optics etc... and those will be the photographers who will be forced to pay top dollar for the higher end dedicated gear. And now that everyone has a smartphone with a half decent camera fitted to it, the market is going to start shrinking faster than ever before.

iPhone 13 Pro Max - the types of shots I'd be taking with an EOS M camera

iPhone 13 Pro Max - last week's pumpkin haul for Halloween.

Now I enjoy my photography. So I have an interest in producing images that smartphones might struggle with (long zoom lenses for wildlife, astrophotography etc)... but I think the general public has drifted away from traditional photography and that the distance increased during lockdown from 2020-2022.  I decided against "upgrading" my iPhone 13 to the new iPhone 14 because I'm happy with the performance so far.  And another year will give them a chance to overhaul the camera module for something a little more ambitious.
The lack of interest in dedicated cameras this year reduces the relevancy of APS-C mirrorless cameras like the EOS M series. And that's why I suspect that any plans Canon have for (or against) the M-series will be accelerated now.  I have no doubt that the other manufacturers will be making decisions of their own.
These images were all shot in HEIF format and converted to JPEG.  I've experimented with the ProRAW option and only use it if exposure is critical.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
KEG
Joo
Ali
KEG
KEG
KEG
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow