Telezoom for Sony

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael W00d Senior Member • Posts: 1,073
Re: Telezoom for Sony

The optical performance of the Sony FE 70-300 lens has not been rated highly by many reviewers. The review by Optical Limits Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS (SEL70300G) - Review / Test Report (opticallimits.com) illustrates this. Particularly poor is the quality of the 300mm shot of buildings seen across a river, which I feel would discourage many potential buyers of the lens.

This result is not in line with my experience. I have owned both the old A-mount version and now the later G version. The latter is way ahead of the older version and OS is particularly good, with the image in the VF snapping to attention when the release is pressed.

Anyway, I decided I would sort out one of my old ARW images similar to the OL 300mm test picture. I took this image as a test shot across the River Thames from City Hall looking towards the LHS of the Tower of London. The people in the centre are 450m (500 yds) away. Taken at 300mm and f/13.

The first image and its 100% crop have just been processed with the old LR basic setup. Results are both flat (unsurprising) and, to me, unacceptably lacking sharpness when viewed at 100%.

The second pair were processed from the same LR *.tif file in Affinity Photo using Topaz Sharpen AI as a plugin. Of course the tonal rendition is vastly improved. But sharpening is transformed and hugely better than OL’s 300mm test shot. Note when viewing the 100% clips that they are equivalent to a picture having a width of 6 feet, nearly 2m.

Overall, while the 70-300mm may not be a match for the Sony 100-400mm in terms of sharpness, it can deliver results that, with the latest processing technology

, are perfectly acceptable for normal-size prints.

Michael W00d's gear list:Michael W00d's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow