Sleeper lenses? Two of my fave’s!!!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Hexlord79
Hexlord79 Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Sleeper lenses? Two of my fave’s!!!

patricksmith32 wrote:

So this morning I was culling through recent images and I realized something and started to think about it. My two favorite lenses are the Nikon 28mm f/1.4E and the Nikon 500mm f/4E VR FL. Now I’ve had almost every modern and past similar lenses, including the Nikon 24mm f/1.4G, 35mm f/1.4G, 400mm f/2.8G VR, 400mm FL, 300mm f/2.8G VRII, 14-24mm f/2.8G, etc., etc. Now I also just happen to live in the worlds greatest camera rich area in the USA, Southern California, where people have money and love the “arts!” I regularly see soccer moms and dads here with Canon R5’s and 100-500mm lenses, or better, for kids sports? Anyways, here you can pretty much find anything used…including all of the big exotics. Somehow though I’ve never seen ANY other photographers with neither a 28mm f/1.4E or another 500FL. Never once seen anyone else besides myself…carrying one of these two? Despite both are incredibly amazing in almost every way? Plus the 500FL only weighs like 6.7 pounds and it’s MTF chart shows it’s even slightly sharper than the new 400mm f/2.8 S 1.4x TC. (I’ll post the two MTF charts, so you can see)!

So this sorta got me thinking…do you guys/gals know of or have any “sleeper” lenses? A lens you own and love…but you’ve never seen anyone else with it? I can clearly remember the day I got hold Ken Rockwell’s Nikon 13mm f/5.6 AIS lens. I hadn’t even heard of it, but there it was…the ultimate “sleeper” super-wide! It was incredible the images it produced. I was blown away by it, but it is about a $25,000 lens, so it should be! So I know the 500pf is probably the ONLY reason I’ve never seen another 500mm f/4E VR FL in the wild. But I don’t get why I’ve never once seen another 28mm f/1.4E? I mean I do understand it’s a bit of an odd focal length, it’s just such an incredible lens…I’m shocked nobody knows or cares? Idk? Anyways I just thought this would be an interesting or fun discussion or thread. When I switched to Canon in about 2003…I got my very first “sleeper” lens, the Canon 200mm f/1.8L USM and was blown away! I still miss having that lens to this day and although the Nikon 200mm f/2G VR lenses’ exist…they just are not quite the same for some reason. I mean don’t get me wrong the Nikon 200mm lenses are superb! Just not sure they are quite “sleeper” category…but others may. So anyone else own any lenses that fit this description? Thanks!

Here’s the MTF charts I was telling you about! See the 500FL is technically slightly better? Or do I still NOT know how to read these…after two decades? LOL?

Nikon AF-S 500mm f/4E VR FL MTF chart, taken from the Nikon USA’s website. Next is the newer and much more expensive Nikon Z-mount 400mm f/2.8 S

Nikon 400mm f/2.8 S MTF chart for lens “Without” Teleconverter engaged! Close, but not quite as good? Or do I just NOT know how to read charts?

And now last but not least…the 28mm f/1.4E measurements! What an amazing lens, which can still till this day beat the newer and yet slower Z-mount 28mm! I mean the lens has an Electronic aperture and adapts via FTZ, so why does nobody want it? $950 is what I paid for my copy about a year ago. That’s an amazing value if you ask me!

I do own the 28mm f1.4E and its fantastic. However... it is way bigger than the Z mount version (I assume you are referring to the f2.8 version that came with the Zfc?)

Hexlord79's gear list:Hexlord79's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Olympus E-PL7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D780
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow