Z 7II Slow Sync Flash Minimum Shutter Speed?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt F Senior Member • Posts: 1,666
Z 7II Slow Sync Flash Minimum Shutter Speed?

I shot my first low-light indoor event with the Z 7II last night. Using rear curtain slow sync, in Aperture priority, the camera seems to ignore the Auto-ISO minimum shutter speed setting, and will keep the shutter open as long as necessary to get a non-flash exposure. I agree that it is correct not to use that setting. For slow sync flash, a much slower speed can be acceptable, and some motion blur combined with the flash can be a good effect (IIRC, the D800 did honor that setting, which was annoying -- I would have to turn off auto-ISO to use slow sync).

However, I would like to control how much motion blur I get. So I would like to say for example, go down to 1/30th, or 1/15th, but slower than that, go ahead and raise the ISO. I have not been able to find a way to do that. In the end, I just set the base ISO to 3200 or 6400, and try to keep an eye on the shutter speed, and see what I am getting.

Maybe the best approach is to try Shutter priority, or even Manual? What do other people do in this situation?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow