Future 135mm S-Line

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
whoosh1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,378
Re: Future 135mm S-Line

bbouras wrote:

Most of my photography centers around studio portraiture, outdoor portraiture, and indoor productions (musicals, plays, other events) with the occasional sports/action. Do you think a 135mm prime is worth working with over the flexibility of a 70-200 and the longer reach of an 85?

For my outdoor portraiture work, I have often taken my 70-200 and gone back and forth between 85 and 135 and I like both looks (compression, bokeh, etc) with an edge to the 135 and of course 200 over the 85. Obviously my 85 prime gets me the softer, creamier look wide open. Can only imagine that gets even better with a 135 right?

For my indoor portraiture work, I'm assuming the only real advantage of the prime vs the zoom would be the weight. Most of my portraiture work even with the 85 is the lens stopped down with strobes. Any other advantages I might be missing?

It may have a smaller minimum focus distance and may have more magnification than 70-200, so you may be able to double duty it for occasional macro (even though it will not reach 1:1).

Also the new 135mm S line may be more optimized for portraiture (perhaps it may have a better bokeh, maybe lower contrast than 70-200 f/2.8 S).

whoosh1's gear list:whoosh1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow