My search for a new camera is over - getting a R6 next week

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Barnie25 Regular Member • Posts: 426
My search for a new camera is over - getting a R6 next week

I've been soul searching for the past 6 weeks trying to find a new camera and camera system to invest in. After a long search and trying out different camera's I've ended up deciding to get a newly used R6 next week.

So why did I end up choosing for the R6?

PRO

• The best ergonomics in my opinion
  • Great AF
  • Great FPS
  • Large enough body
  • Large camera manufacturer so future proof

There are also a few downsides which I am still hesitant on but have accepted:

CON

• RF lens selection
    • Either very expensive lenses or not always attractive lower grade lenses
  • 20 megapixels doesn't allow for lots of cropping

What other cameras did I consider and why did I choose the R6 over them?

Nikon Z6ii

• Worse ergonomics
  • Lens line up also not as attractive
  • Worse AF

Sony A7IV

• Much more expensive
  • Less attractive color science out of the box
  • Small body

Lumix S1/S5

• Worse AF
  • Unclear about the future of the mount and camera series

Canon EOS R

• Lack of joystick
  • Lack of IBIS
  • Low FPS

One of my main gripes with the R6 was the megapixel count but if I'm honest with myself I am unlikely to need more than 20 megapixels for any portrait or event work I'll do. For my personal family pictures which mostly are viewed on a digital screen (max 4k) or as smaller prints the 20 megapixels is also plenty.

With regard to landscape and cityscape shots I'll just resort to shooting multiple shot panorama's like I've done in the past. That always worked perfectly fine.

The other thing I was on the fence about was the RF mount. I really wasn't impressed with the lens selection. But ultimately the value of great EF glass made me stop worrying about this aspect.

Right now I am thinking of getting the following setup:

• Canon EOS R
  • RF-EF adapter with control ring
  • Tamron SP 24-70 G2
  • Tamron SP 85 1.8
  • RF 50 1.8

With this three lens line up I am able to take portraits, have a good standard zoom for a number of varied applications and a small nifty fifty to throw on when I'm out with the family.

I am however still in deliberation with myself if I want to switch it to the following setup:

• Canon EOS R
  • RF-EF adapter
  • Sigma 70-200 sport
  • Sigma 35 1.4
  • RF 50 1.8

This is much less compact due to the large zoom lens and doesn't include a dedicated portrait lens, however the 35 1.4 is a really great lens and focal length and the 70-200 is great for outdoor portraits and event work. It does lack the 24mm on the wide end for outdoor shooting however.

I am excited to jump into the EOS R universe and get out there again with my camera.

Barnie25's gear list:Barnie25's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow