I found the girl of the pearl!

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jan B
OP Jan B Regular Member • Posts: 212
Re: I found the girl of the pearl!

Klaus dk wrote:

That is a very beautiful picture, benefiting from your meticulous selection of model and props and your attention to details — even if you missed a few.

IMHO, there's a lot to learn from trying to copy old masters, be it painters or photographers. First, you find out you can't copy 1:1, then you realise how many decisions the original artist has been forced to make, but also, for each detail, you begin to wonder if this just happened without much thought, or if it was a result of a deliberate decision. And then, when you compare results, you find that, despite all effort, you missed something.

Nevertheless, in the process, you are forced to see, look closely, notice, in the most deliberate way, what the picture you're trying to copy, holds. As an aexample, it would take months, a large studio, and a well assorted props department to recreate The Night Watchman — even though, I think it has been done?

As for the lighting, it's tricky to recreate what Vermeer did in his studio hundreds of years ago, especially as the painter sees a wider dynamic range. I think some work with the tone curves would help. Using more lights on the model would be the worst possible solution, I suppose Vermeer painted by the light from a window.

The bottom line though is, that you and Rivka now share an experience that you probably both will remember for a long time, she will have a picture to remind her of her youth, and you have a great picture for your portfolio.

Thank you for sharing.

Klaus, thank you very much for your kind words and constructive criticism.
Your bottom line comment touched me the most; Rivka and I share an experience we never forget. In hindsight I wish I had enjoyed it more, the moments of shooting, but the pictures give me a lot of rememberings for the afterparty ;-).
One of my learning points in portraiture is to pay attention to the model ànd to the technique. And to enjoy the moment!

Jan B's gear list:Jan B's gear list
Sony a7 II Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow