Nifty fifty for the croppie

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kevinlundoh
kevinlundoh New Member • Posts: 10
Nifty fifty for the croppie

So far the most impressive DX lens. This is THE lens that you'd bring if you could only bring one. With its' close 50mm equivalent focal length, it pretty much covers anything you could hope for.

Large aperture for low-light usage and portraitures, with its' middle-ish focal length to shoot, well everything, even birding if you have enough pixels to crop it.

This lens has full time auto focus override on the M/A mode, quite useful for subjects that are making micro front/rear movements while staying in halfway shutter release without refocusing everything.

Focus accuracy is spot on, my favorite composition is the Golden Ratio so it requires me to take a step back from my subject, even with this focal length, hence I don't need to really put the exact measurements in my focusing. For close ups though, need to get really careful to 'hit the eye' focus since f1.8 is very shallow.

Image quality is very sharp, especially when my other lenses are from third-party brands zoom lenses, this 35mm just topples everything out in terms of sharpness.

This lens does, however, has some drawbacks but nothing much to worry about.

Purple-fringing in highlights produced by this lens are quite distracting, and to be frank, I am quite bothered with it, though some people might not mind this.

No VR, although the large aperture and short focal length has compensated this.

It has a bit of distortion compared to the Nikon 50mm lens and this effect is exaggerated when shooting close-up portraiture. But in real world, you're not putting a side-by-side comparison between 35mm and 50mm for every close ups you do so it doesn't really bothers me.

Last but not least, could use a wider focusing range for smooth manual focusing.

All in all, I will stand by my first point, this is the lens, THE lens that I'd bring with me anywhere I go simply for its versatility. Get one in your bag now.

kevinlundoh's gear list:kevinlundoh's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
Prime lens • Nikon F (DX) • 2183
Announced: Feb 9, 2009
kevinlundoh's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow