Fringer issues on X-T30 + Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP beneix Regular Member • Posts: 121
Re: Update: it's something AF-related, but it does not make full sense

Morris0 wrote:

This dose not sound correct to me:

"Here, I need to explain how I use BBF. When I want to have BBF, I always switch to manual focus and then I use the AF-L button, which functions as BBF in M mode. If I feel like not using BBF, I switch to AF-S and there my shutter half-press does the AF."

I don't understand why you are going into manual focus. I suggest you start a thread asking how to setup and operate the camera for BBF. I don't use BBF yet I know some love this older method.

Morris

On the X-T30, there are two ways you can set up BBF:

1. You disable Shutter AF and assign "AF-ON" to one of the function buttons. That becomes your BBF; the shutter will not activate AF.
  2. You switch to manual focus and then the AF-L button automatically functions as a BBF button. If you press it once, focus is set and you can either press the shutter or first recompose and then press the shutter. If you keep it pressed, AF will continuously refocus and you can press the shutter button when you are ready.

I prefer method (2) since it gives me the best of both worlds – BBF for me when I want it and usual shutter AF for my family or when I prefer it, and it's dead easy to switch between the two. I also do not have to reassign any buttons.

beneix's gear list:beneix's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow