Pixel Peeping Pros: Lens Sharpness?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 56,619
Re: Pixel Peeping Pros: Lens Sharpness?

Tilt Fishy wrote:

I did this exercise twice. In the first run i was at 86 centimer distance from the wall. In the second run I was at 25 cm distance from the wall. The images appears softer when I'm closer to the wall, so I tried to lookup the DOF.

To my understanding when I'm at 25 cm distance at 75mm f2.8 the DOP appears to be less than 1mm to each side of the plane.

Something to consider is DOF charts tell you the depth of acceptable focus and not perfect focus. Many of these charts come from the film days and use an 8x10 print. With today's high-resolution sensors and the ease of 100% zoom examination, the visible depth of perfect focus has become extremely small.

I have found this DOF calculator most useful if you click on "show advanced". Since the chart doesn't take 100% zoom of high res sensors into account you have to choose a print size appropriate.

A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator (cambridgeincolour.com)

I find this one pretty good as well.

DOF simulator - Camera depth of field calculator with visual background blur and bokeh simulation.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow