Fringer issues on X-T30 + Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP beneix Regular Member • Posts: 121
Update: it's something AF-related, but it does not make full sense

Morris0 wrote:

I just retested on both my cameras, X-T3 and X-H2s. My issue was that I have exposure set to lock on the when focus locks or starts tracking.

Take a look at your "Shutter AE" setting. It controls when exposure locks.

Morris

Thanks, your remark has made me realise something about my X-T30 and Fuji lenses I didn't notice before. I first tested if "Shutter AE" made a difference – it didn't. However, your suggestion set me off on some investigation...
If I put my ear right next to my Fuji 16-80 while varying the amount of light coming into the lens, I can hear that the 16-80 also adjusts something inside, just like the Canon lenses do when I use my Fringer. The difference is that the Canons are much noiser 😀. The noise that is heard as you vary the light is a faint "tick" noise, as if something is affected by an actuator inside the lens. It is much more faint than the noise heard when you make the AF activate.

Here, I need to explain how I use BBF. When I want to have BBF, I always switch to manual focus and then I use the AF-L button, which functions as BBF in M mode. If I feel like not using BBF, I switch to AF-S and there my shutter half-press does the AF.

So, I normally have "Shutter AF" set to "on" for AF-S. Now, testing, I switched it off and the noise went away. So the noise is definitely to do with focusing. But it's still strange, because I do not have Pre-AF set so what is it that the lens is doing before I have asked it to focus – and why does it do it even when it is only the amount of light coming in to the lens that is varied, not the distance to the object? (I have tested setting the camera fixed to point at a lamp and switching it on/off, and the lens does its thing in reaction to the change in light.)

beneix's gear list:beneix's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow