What to get for BIF and general wildlife, camera and lens.

Started Oct 6, 2022 | Discussions thread
Ramon767 Regular Member • Posts: 375
Re: What to get for BIF and general wildlife, camera and lens.

In another thread you can see me agonising over a change to this question for myself, and so my advice to you is consider this:

least expense option

- DSLRs are still great. You can have a Nikon D500 and a 200-500 quite cheaply. Good solid setup. Heavy.

For less money again you could use a Z50 or D7500, but that’s harder to recommend, and it’s hard to go past a D500.

more expensive

- I just bought a D850 to potentially replace the D500, and it’s much better again, but a little more expensive. I’m also using a 500PF, which is a fairly expensive lens, but you could use the 200-500 ( bear in mind the 200-500 is better on a crop sensor than full frame).

low end high expense

- I’ve seen a heap of people using a Canon R5 and 100-500. The results here look really promising. There’s also the R7. Nice FF camera with really compelling auto AF. Worth a look, probably a way better option than the DSLRs.

go nuts

- Sony A1 or Nikon Z9 and F4 exotic lens. Sell your car, parts of your liver and or children.

edit: just saw your BIF stuff, looks great, you should get the best stuff you can afford because you’ll get more useable hits for sure.

Ramon767's gear list:Ramon767's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z8 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow