aRGB vs sRGB: Visual Difference? Worth the Premium?

Started Oct 7, 2022 | Discussions thread
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 8,802
Re: Printer vs. monitor gamuts and Adobe RGB

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

I also wonder how does the color gamut of a printer compare to either aRGB or sRGB ultimately.

Even some very modest printers can print colors that are outside the gamuts of both sRGB and even Adobe RGB--and almost any monitor can display colors that are outside the gamuts of all printers (and even the best printer on the widest-gamut paper cannot print anywhere near all of the colors within sRGB). My modest little 6-color Epson printer, on some papers, can print a not-small range of yellows and cyan-aquamarines, and some red-magentas, that are outside of Adobe RGB's gamut. See my post at:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63802616

In short, the shapes and extents of monitor gamuts and printer gamuts differ substantially from each other. Also, if you want to use a color working space that can describe all the colors your monitor can display and/or your printer can print, then you probably need to be working in ProPhoto RGB (or its "Melissa" variant used in Lightroom) or maybe DxO's new "Wide Gamut" space.

It' s that "Wide Gamut" space that DXO just introduced, that I find interesting. Did you already work with it in PL6?

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7R IV Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow