Fringer issues on X-T30 + Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP beneix Regular Member • Posts: 121
Update: it's the aperture, and the same on other lenses

Morris0 wrote:

What focus mode (Single point, zone or wide)?

Are you using back button focus or half press shutter release?

Morris

The focus mode makes no difference. I use BBF.

Actually, on further testing, it seems it is the aperture constantly readjusting, not the AF. It is strange - there is a "tick" noise from the lens that is similar to the way some other AF lenses sound when focusing, but of course this lens has the silent nano AF. In the EVF, there is no noticeable change in the image when the noise is heard.

In spite of the aperture being set (fixed), it seems the lens does something inside as you vay the amount of light coming in to the lens. If I press the depth-of-field preview button, it gets stranger – there is a very brief slight darkening of the view but then it returns to the previous light level. This happens both upon activating and de-activating DOF preview. Otherwise, the previewing of the DOF does not suggest any actual change in the aperture corresponding to the noise from the lens.

The phenomenon happens in AF-S and AF-C modes, not in M. I have now determined it also happens with the Canon EF 50mm f1.4.

I can live with it, I was mostly wondering if anyone else had the same combination of body, adapter and lens and whether they had the same experience.

beneix's gear list:beneix's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-T30 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow