How to see diffraction in photos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Tivoli Tuesday
Tivoli Tuesday New Member • Posts: 18
Re: How to see diffraction in photos

I am still learning the technical/science stuff but I think I have unwittingly done this experiment before. I was actually just trying to see the difference in DOF at different stops and I was surprised that the images at the higher stops weren't quite as sharp (when zoomed in on my monitor). I assumed it was something I had done wrong or misunderstood about DOF. I had taken several photos of a distant solitary tree on a hillside, focused directly on the tree, at different stops. It was just a casual experiment but I was surprised that the lower stops (especially f/5.6) seemed to give me the sharpest shots of the tree itself. I tried this "experiment" (just checking the effect on DOF) on a couple of different subjects and the results seemed to be more or less the same. Does this sound like I was seeing the effects of diffraction?

-- hide signature --

~ Peter

Tivoli Tuesday's gear list:Tivoli Tuesday's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow