aRGB vs sRGB: Visual Difference? Worth the Premium?

Started Oct 7, 2022 | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,229
Printer vs. monitor gamuts and Adobe RGB

I also wonder how does the color gamut of a printer compare to either aRGB or sRGB ultimately.

Even some very modest printers can print colors that are outside the gamuts of both sRGB and even Adobe RGB--and almost any monitor can display colors that are outside the gamuts of all printers (and even the best printer on the widest-gamut paper cannot print anywhere near all of the colors within sRGB). My modest little 6-color Epson printer, on some papers, can print a not-small range of yellows and cyan-aquamarines, and some red-magentas, that are outside of Adobe RGB's gamut. See my post at:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63802616

In short, the shapes and extents of monitor gamuts and printer gamuts differ substantially from each other. Also, if you want to use a color working space that can describe all the colors your monitor can display and/or your printer can print, then you probably need to be working in ProPhoto RGB (or its "Melissa" variant used in Lightroom) or maybe DxO's new "Wide Gamut" space.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow