How to see diffraction in photos

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ahaslett
ahaslett Forum Pro • Posts: 12,159
Re: How to see diffraction in photos

JosephScha wrote:

Honestly, the only way to be sure you are seeing diffraction is if someone posts two pictures, one at f/4 or f/5.6; the other at f/11 or f/16. I don't think there are examples of that on this thread and possibly not on this forum. Maybe someone will give this a try.

At anything over f7.1 you are seeing diffraction as the main source of detail loss in the plane of critical focus unless you have a terrible lens. By f16, it is inescapably visible. Indeed you may wish you had not shot a landscape with so much useless depth of field, mostly more blurred that if you had used f10.

Afterward, I couldn’t believe how badly this was composed.  Wrong in so many ways.  My only excuse was rushing before the people behind stepped into the image.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +33 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow