What to get for BIF and general wildlife, camera and lens.

Started Oct 6, 2022 | Discussions thread
OP Fishrman Senior Member • Posts: 1,861
Re: What to get for BIF and general wildlife, camera and lens.

lehill wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

I have been putting up with my Panasonic FZ2500 for a few years now. It was suggested to me, many times, I should try something else. Focus with it is often to slow and sometimes it just won't lock focus when I am in tight situations with limbs or a background that is similar to the subject. I have seriously thought about going to the Sony RX10IV but am not sure if it really would be that big of an improvement?? I can sometimes get photos that are respectable but I usually have to spend some time in post processing to get them that way. I have thought about just getting a camera that is designated as my birding or wildlife camera and keep my FZ2500 for travel or family photos etc. If I did this, is there a camera and lens you might suggest that I could get that wouldn't break the bank? Fast focus is important to me and of course not only fast but accurate. Thanks for any ideas and help.

The instant you mentioned "BIF", the cost went up. Even if you blew up your bank into little tiny pieces, the keeper rate for the faster birds is anywhere between 1-25% depending on skill level. (an old FM post but still largely relevant)

If you can adjust your keeper rate expectations, there are a lot of nice RX10IV BIF samples in the Sony Cybershot forum. This Nikon old-timer has a good, frank, summary of his experience with his RX10IV.

Much appreciated! I do get, what I consider, a keeper now and again with my Panasonic. Usually requires some post editing though:

Fishrman's gear list:Fishrman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ2500 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow