OM-1 Assigning a button to switch between custom modes

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 22,574
OM-1 Assigning a button to switch between custom modes

I know that this has been discussed before, but I would just like to check in case somebody has found a way to do what I want.

I shoot soccer matches and I want to be able to switch very quickly between two custom modes - one set to Silent Sequential shooting at 10fps, and the other to ProCapture at 25fps.

On my E-M1.2 I just set these up as adjacent custom modes and switched between them by turning the mode dial with my thumb while shooting.  On the OM-1, the mode dial is too far away from my thumb to change settings without lowering the camera.  This is just too slow.

I currently have the two modes set to C3 and C4.  What I want to be able to do is set the mode dial to C3 and set a button to change to C4 and back again.  The manual implies that this is possible, but I haven't found a way to do it.  In C3, if I press the button assigned to C4, nothing happens.  It only appears to work in a PASM mode.  Is this correct?

I suppose that the other way to handle this is to copy my normal M mode settings (I shoot soccer in M mode with auto ISO) to C1 before stating a shoot, then, in M mode, recall my C3 settings.  If the C3 settings include a button assignment to switch to C4, I can press this button once to switch to C4 and a second press will then bring me back.  I would need to recall my normal M settings from C1 at the end of the shoot.  I haven't tried this out and I am a little worried that any adjustments that I make to the recalled C3 settings might get lost accidentally.

Has anybody got any better ideas?

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
OM-1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow