Controlling High ISO on the R7 ... goodbye Golden Rule

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robbey TC
Robbey TC Forum Member • Posts: 66
Controlling High ISO on the R7 ... goodbye Golden Rule

You may already do this ... but for me moving from a DSLR to mirrorless was a new leaning exercise.

It is rather pleasant to use the R7 IBIS and lens IS combined for apertures down (up?) to f9 and in doing so avoid higher ISO rates for slow or still subjects (perched birds and landscapes)

For me gone are the days of the golden rule about using shutter speeds => than focal length.

I now confidently shoot 150-640 on a 500mm RF lens (800mm equivalent FOV) at ISO 1600 or less, with apertures of 7.1 to 9 and get fabulous results.

For landscapes I use apertures for good DOF so can be up to f11 at times on a wide angle lens .. or even up to 85mm.

Topas AI helps as well to get clean results when needed.

I use FV mode and limit auto ISO to 1600.

The combined IBIS and Canon RF lens IS must be a good 6 stops or more in the field even without a tripod.

Regards

Robbey TC

Learning all the time ... trying to get better pictures ... enjoying life

Robbey TC's gear list:Robbey TC's gear list
Nikon Z6 Canon EOS R7 Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +4 more
Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow