Best Nikon Mirrorless Combo for (about) $2k?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rafterman
Rafterman Junior Member • Posts: 30
Best Nikon Mirrorless Combo for (about) $2k?

I'm a former Nikon DSLR shooter. Been out of the hobby for a few years and looking to get back in with mirrorless. Primary usage would be for travel (landscapes, architecture), family/friends photos, and outdoor car shows.

All of these options are from reputable, highly-rated sellers on Amazon.

Combo #1 - $2,400

• Renewed Nikon Z 5
  • Renewed Z 24-70mm f/4 S
  • New 85mm f/1.8 S

Combo #2 - $2,200

• Renewed Nikon Z 5
  • New Z 24-120mm f/4 S

Combo #3 - $2,200

• "Like New" used Nikon Z 6 II with 24-70mm f/4 S

I'm not sure I'd make use of all the features on the Z 6 II that are an upgrade over the Z 5 like dual processors, better video, and faster FPS rate. Also, I prefer the dual SD card slots on the Z 5 compared to the Z 6 II, but it's not a deal-breaker. I know camera bodies get upgraded all the time, but lenses are bought for the long haul, so I'd be fine with either body most likely.

The longer reach of the 24-120mm would be nice for travel, but it currently costs almost double what the 24-70mm does. I mean, the 24-70mm wouldn't be terrible, and the 85mm would be amazing for portraits and other shots that require a medium telephoto. My only concern there is if I would miss having a longer telephoto. In that case, if and when Nikon comes out with a 70-200mm f/4 S lens for the Z mount, that would definitely be my next purchase.

In lieu of the 85mm f/1.8, I would also consider the 105mm f/2.8 S lens, which could serve double duty for both portraits and occasional macro work.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and suggestions.

Rafterman's gear list:Rafterman's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z6 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow