Backdrop and subject distance, and how far to stand for photographer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dave Andrade Contributing Member • Posts: 587
Backdrop and subject distance, and how far to stand for photographer?

Ok, hopefully this doesnt twist too many minds. I am only asking based on others' experience, and curious what they do.

Just browsing around online, I've seen suggestions about getting a 5' by 7' pop-up backdrop for a typical adult. (to be clear, by the way, I own one. Sure, I can test, but I don't have anyone here to test with. And any shoot I've had I use a larger cloth one)

BUT...sure, a lot of humans are under 7' and not 5' wide...but have them take about a 5' step forward, and they're taking up more of the frame. So whereas if they were right in front of the backdrop, it may be fine, moving them away changes things. Why move them away? Shadows.

I am also aware that it is a LOT easier if you're not doing a full body shot, of course. I guess what I am asking is if you're using a backdrop and you have your subject 5-8" away from it, and using a 50mm or 85mm on full frame....how large is YOUR backdrop? (big enough to obviously frame your subject and keep them within the backdrop "bounds")

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal. If someone's arm crosses the outside of the backdrop, that's what Photoshop is for. I am just asking if anyone uses them, and what size they use successfully.

Dave Andrade's gear list:Dave Andrade's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Lumix S 85mm F1.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow