Do we really need huge, expensive, pro lenses anymore ?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Fishchris
Fishchris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,243
Do we really need huge, expensive, pro lenses anymore ?

Don't get me wrong, the majority of folks don't need them now, but I mean to say, even in tough conditions, for professional photographers, who need a lot of reach ?

Now, I'm not talking about trying to replace a $12K or $16K with a $900 lens, like the RF 800 F11, either. Those are on such opposite ends of the spectrum, that is kind of a ridiculous comparison.

The lens I specifically want to discuss is an oddball, but it seems like the holy grail to me. The Nikon NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S Lens This lens is about half, or a little less than half the price of the big F4's. Its lighter. Its smaller. And its the kind of lens that I might actually consider buying someday down the road.

It just seems to me, that a lens like this ^ can be a little slower, a little smaller, WAY cheaper, and yet, because of modern mirrorless camera tech, perform 100%... heck maybe 110% as well, as an older DSLR, with a big, heavy, crazy expensive, F4 lens. Do you agree ? Disagree ?

And something that throws me off, I've discussed this lens with several pro photographers (who are very intrigued by this lens, and not bashing on it all) but they don't believe other companies (Canon ?) will ever make such a lens ? Geez, I sure hope they are wrong. I'm SO totally hoping that Nikons Z800 F6.3 becomes a HUGE hit, and they sell so many, that Canon, and Sony, have no choice but to start making their own.

Finally, and I've said this before, but I'll say it again.... It has never made ANY sense to me whatsoever, that camera companies make $900 telephotos and zooms >>>>> and $13K to $20K telephotos, and NOTHING in between ? If this is such a terrible idea, what made Nikon finally wake up ?

-- hide signature --

Photos are my paintings. The camera is my brush.
Website
www.LightInEveryCorner.com
DPreview gallery; http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/5075216809
No time or attention given for negativity or trolls.

Fishchris's gear list:Fishchris's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +1 more
Casio Exilim EX-Z800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow