Suggestions for Budget Lightweight Tripods with no centre-column

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
psartman
psartman Regular Member • Posts: 364
Re: Suggestions for Budget Lightweight Tripods with no centre-column

Craig Gillette wrote:

Not familiar with the OM-1 and 300/4 for size considerations so not sure if the smallest/lightest might not be too small/too light.

I have a Sirui W-1204. It has a two piece center column, so you can separate the top couple of inches and go as full flat as the legs allow. It's not their least expensive series, and cf, nor the most compact, being 4 section and longer leg sections than a couple of smaller tripods I have. The aluminum version, W-1004? and perhaps the CF w-1204 may be discontinued, but the W-2204 is $100 off through 10/31 at B&H, perhaps others and that's $219 for a 2 series, good, CF tripod, - a very good deal. Th aluminum is also $219 on sale, is al and weighs almost a pound more!

I also have a Sirui AM-005. Much smaller and lighter and quite a bit less expensive, maybe $60 on sale now (And impressive at that price. I've seen other small, light tripods that were much less nicely finished and floor models broke when I checked them.) It has a telescoping center post that screws to the top of the apex/spider so doesn't drop through and out below, to sometimes be in the way. the situation you want to avoid. So you could have a fixed length post or telescope that, having even more extension, leverage and balance problems. But, the post can be removed and the head attached directly to the apex.

The Sirui T-004k/T-024k (al vs cf) have drop through center post. I believe it also telescopes but maybe it's a single and could be shortened? The T-005k/T-025k I believe has the fixed/telescoping post like the AM-005 which suggests the head can be directly attached to the apex. Might be worth checking. Pricier but near/at your budget, and I think a higher grade series, better head, etc.

fYI, I have a similar 5-section Sirui T1205 tripod for a good price in the For Sale forum right now.

psartman's gear list:psartman's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow