How often and how much do you crop?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AstigmaticOwl Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: How often and how much do you crop?

timo wrote:

D Cox wrote:

I crop for two reasons: one is part of straightening up the verticals on buildings, or making the horizon of the sea level.

The other is to improve the composition.

Note that cropping doesn't always reduce the image area: the crop tool in Photoshop and in Affinity Photo can be dragged outside the image area -- for instance, to add more sky.

Don

Yes. Even if I didn't want to crop, I would still have to a bit in many instances because a detached retina op nearly 20 years ago means that my two eyes have different perceptions of horizontal, two or three degrees rotated. My poor old brain has managed to accommodate them to a compromise somewhere in the middle. But this means that when I look through one eye only (i.e. though the VF), my perception of horizontal is then consistently a few degrees off.

Makes hanging pictures straight a bit of a challenge too ...

I too have problems with straight horizons. I find that having the gird option in the VF makes it a little easier to find something to line up either the vertical or horizontal.

AstigmaticOwl's gear list:AstigmaticOwl's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 8800 Nikon Z7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
tex
i8z
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow