What is the secret to viewing images on iMac 27" 5K?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 24,931
What is the secret to viewing images on iMac 27" 5K?

I did briefly read about this on another thread. My camera sensor is 8192 x 5464. Screen set to default resolution. I don't see any additional options.

I was really excited to get this unit. I'm just struggling to find the answer to viewing files. For instance my files look great in Lightroom. I00% crop and no matter what I do they look great.

I export a file let's say to 1800 on the long side. When I view then using Preview the scaling is wrong. Tons of stair stepping. I can use the magnifying glass and reduce it so it looks OK but is that correct?  Also if I open that file in PS it is half the size because of the way PS scales. I get that part.

The only way to get that file to look OK with in Preview is to export at closer half the  original. Even 3600 is not bad. It looks OK on the sites however that is too big for most web viewing sites/forums. Some allow but it's just too big for others with smaller monitors to see it all.

Here is the kicker. I've asked this question at a few photo sites. Members suggested sizes like 2400 on the long side. I have tried it and my files still look stair stepped but theirs look fine. I just cannot figure this out. I've even downloaded their files and checked the sizes. I'm submitting the same sizes as them. I can't make any sense of this.

I think I did read one of the members here does not recommend that iMac for this reason. I could be wrong.

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow