How often and how much do you crop?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,667
Re: How often and how much do you crop?

timo wrote:

A quote from one of Mike Johnston's recent posts on his excellent The Online Photographer website, talking about viewfinders:

'Winogrand often barely looks through his viewfinder at all. Cartier-Bresson hid his camera behind a handkerchief in his hands, and it was said that he could get it to his eye, take a picture, and hide it again before most people even noticed what he was doing.'

I have read about Bresson that he took pride in the fact that his photos didn't need cropping; he often had them printed showing the edges of the frame. You could say that he cropped in-camera and was very good/quick about it.

I don't know if Winogrand cropped afterwards, but I've read about him that he didn't even have all his film developed; hundreds of exposed rolls were found after his death. That takes it to a whole other level. If he didn't even care enough (or couldn't afford) to develop his film, he would JOLLY well not bother to crop! 

<snip>

How much time and concentration do you give to cropping before you post images online or have them printed?

Posting online - If I glance at it for a couple seconds and feel like it needs cropping, I crop it. I try to only show my best stuff, so those that do get shown may as well be at their best.

Printing - I think hard about it. I have them cropped perfectly, because I'm spending money here.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hofer

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z5 Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +26 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
tex
i8z
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow