Youth Soccer Canon M50 Critique and Used DSLR Recommendation?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colorado4X4 New Member • Posts: 12
Youth Soccer Canon M50 Critique and Used DSLR Recommendation?

Hello!  This is my first post here!   I have been reading so many threads in DPReview and have been learning a ton.   I bought my first camera, a Canon M50 to film my off-roading videos because I was tired of filming with my iPhone.   Several months ago, I tried my hand at shooting pictures at my sons soccer games because nobody else was.  I didn’t even know what aperture meant several months ago.   
Anyways, can you please critique some of these photos?   They’re all jpeg, unedited and uncropped.   
I am mostly shooting in single point AF, low speed burst with “tracking priority”.   I’ve tried the other two AF methods but focus always locks on to something else or a different player than I want.  A lot of times I just shoot in single shot AI Servo just to get more in focus pictures.

I also learned that when shooting in burst mode that the focus applies to the first frame and doesn’t track the subject, so for that reason I’m thinking about a used Canon DSLR that might be better for sports like a 7D Mii.

My “keeper rate” sucks!   It’s awful and I get a little discouraged.   I am deleting so many out of focus pictures.    I just keep trying and trying to get better as I know my technique sucks too.   Those 10 shots out of 100 that are in focus keep me going.  Anyways, I am having fun at it!

Canon M50

Canon EF-M 55-200 f/4.5-6.3 IS STM

Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM

Out of focus

Out of focus.  Bad picture

I wish this one would have been sharp!

Another bad one.  You get the point by now

This one is pretty decent!

This one is getting better!

I love this one.  Needs a little crop.  Or more zoom

Not very sharp

I lucked into the action!   Probably deleted 50 pictures for this one

No action shot with the EF-S lens.

Action shot!

I sure would appreciate your expert advice!!!  Thanks, Geoff

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow