Problem with R5C movie AF

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
bestzoom Regular Member • Posts: 174
Problem with R5C movie AF

This camera is a beauty in stills... no issue with still AF..

However, AF in video mode is less than ideal.. This happened with RF 24-70 f2.8 zoom or RF 50 f1.2 prime.. both lenses struggled to focus in dim light, ISO 800 and maximal aperture at a distance of 5 to 10 feet away. I have problem with video AF at a distance of 20-35 away during an event recently . This is despite turning off face and eye detect. I used continuous AF, large or whole area. The tracking function allowed the AF to stay in focus or it could hunt for focus. Still AF is quick and accurate and thus not a lens problem.

I then used a Sigma 35 Art f1.4 with an EF/RF adaptor and found the AF speed and accuracy even at f1.4 was faster and more accurate than that of RF zoom.  Sigma Art AF is faster than manual focus on cine lens, which in term is faster than RF zoom.

Maybe the movie AF for R5C has been fine tuned to EF lens.

Thoughts??

bestzoom's gear list:bestzoom's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R5 C Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +8 more
Canon EOS R5 C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow