The GH6 continues to impress

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ab Latchin Senior Member • Posts: 2,201
The GH6 continues to impress

While I haven't quite taken to the GH6 as a stills camera as well as I was enjoying the EM1.3, as a video machine I cannot praise it enough!

We recently had 3 mini sets with 4 stylists going to capture content for Canada's largest hair retailer and I set-up 3 GH6 bodies, each with a 12-60 f2.8-4. Cameras were set-up to capture 5.7k open gate for various delivery formats...

On that front I have to say the GH6 bodies are acutally quite a lot better than even the recent open gate settings available for competitive formats. An element missed in their recent video on the advantages of open gate is that a more square sensor (for example on the GH6) better protects the AoV when delivering between a vertical frame, and a horizontal frame. For example a wide angle of view in 3:2 would be a more extreme crop when a vertical 16:9 is cropped for delivery, this is not as extreme for m43rds sensors.

Anyway, look at the colour from these, graded in premiere pro, these are screenshots from the video just to show the superb colour, especially the skin tones!

We had mini sets set-up for the models to work in:

I need to use the camera more for stills, recently I took the S1R out with the 40mm f1.4 sigma (something I don't plan to do too often when I ride my bike), it is a stunning camera and a very special lens... but at a size that is really prohibitive... I intend to take a comparison shot with the GH6 to this S1R image using the 20mm f1.7 to see how close I can hey in HHHR mode. But generally was very impressed with the combo.

It's a pity that autofocus has become a feature that blinds people to the quality right now in panasonic bodies. I do hope an update the the GX9 comes around with the colour science in the GH6, it would definitely be a buy for me.

While I have always enjoyed the colour in Olympus bodies, my switch to panasonic has been an easy one! This was. a grab on my ride home from work, it was surprisingly harder with the FF combo to get a slower shutter with a 40mm lens. Smaller sensors definately cam deliver. 
I plan to do a comparison shot to this in the coming days while the trees look beautiful.

-- hide signature --

Follow on Instagram to see how the team uses the gear: @odlagency

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow