Print comparison: Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta vs. Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
spilla Senior Member • Posts: 1,204
Print comparison: Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta vs. Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique

In a previous thread I asked for advice on ink jet paper for prints, and Jim suggested Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique -- I decided to compare this to Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta which I've printed on before and love. I received some test prints from my printer (Stockbridge in Philly) on both papers, here are my observations.

I printed this photo:

From the original edit for screen (above), I increase exposure by 0.1 stop but made no other changes to the print files. Overall, both papers look fantastic and I would be happy with either one. There were two notable differences:

1) The Hahnemühle has a slight yellow tone which is apparent in the highlights, whereas the Canson is pure white. This makes the Canson appear to have brighter whites and slightly more contrast.

2) The Hahnemühle has a more pronounced texture and more gloss.

For this photo I'm going to print on the Canson. The 0.1 stop exposure boost turned out to be just right, although the shadows were slightly darker in the prints than I expected so will add a little shadows boost for final prints.

Here's a few photos I took with my iphone in overcast light from my window to give you a sense:

Hahnemühle

Canson

Hahnemühle texture

Canson texture

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
MOD JimKasson
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow