Action in very low Natural Light (not a stadium)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ScottCR New Member • Posts: 4
Action in very low Natural Light (not a stadium)

I promise I searched both the internet and the forum before asking for help. Please excuse me if this has been asked and answered before, I couldn't find an adequate answer. I need some help with suggested settings to capture amateur sports under low natural light conditions. Here are the details:

Equipment: I have access to a Sony A7iv and a Tamron 70-180 F2.8. I also have access to a Sigma 24-70 F2.8 but I don't anticipate it would do well shooting from sideline distances.

Environment: I live in the Pacific Northwest, U.S. This time of year we can generally count on cloudy skies often and low light until late in the morning. A group I belong to plays sports at a local park a few mornings a month before work until the weather makes it impossible. We will be playing tomorrow morning, as soon as it is light enough out to see a frisbee or a football (American football). Play  will likely start bout 15-20 minutes before official sunrise (10 minutes into twilight).

I am pretty new to photography, but I can bumble my way through Lightroom and I anticipate bringing my exposure up in post is going to be part of the solution. What settings do you recommend as a ballpark estimate I can start from? I assume (perhaps wrongly) that I want to shoot as wide open as possible and around 1/600 shutter speed and 3200 (1600 if I can get away with it) ISO. Am I even in the ballpark (pun intended) with these numbers. Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow