Sony a1 viewfinder shows red noise in dark areas

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
abstrctn New Member • Posts: 2
Sony a1 viewfinder shows red noise in dark areas

I recently bought a new Sony a1 and while the resulting images look fine on the back monitor and when imported to a computer, the viewfinder seems to be adding red noise to any dark areas of the image.

At first I thought I just needed to tweak my focus peaking settings, but the problem persisted even after changing the peaking color to something other than red and even after turning focus peaking off entirely.

And then I realized it was occurring in places that focus peaking should never come into play (pictures below):

• When viewing existing pictures, not just in the live view
  • In certain dark borders within the menu
  • When looking through the viewfinder with a lenscap on so the entire screen is black

I'm unsure whether this is happening because of a settings issue with my camera, or if something is wrong with the body. Has anyone seen this before, or can anything think of settings I should change or debugging steps I should take to help diagnose this?

Some debugging steps I've already tried:

• It happens at all viewfinder brightnesses, whether brightness is set using auto or manual, at all finder color temperatures and all finder framerates.
  • I've performed a full settings reset + initialization

Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow