Needing new shorter FL replacement up to 100-150mm range?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sean2019 New Member • Posts: 14
Needing new shorter FL replacement up to 100-150mm range?

I recently took a trip to Africa and brought Sony 100-400, Tamron 28-200, Tamron 20mm. For most of the time I did use the 100-400 and had no complaints. However I learned after the fact the Tamron 28-200 was quite the hit or miss, and a good number of times while it had indicated focus (using AF of course) the image itself while not out of focus per se, but also was not very good. It was akin to needing maybe a step or 2 better focused. I read later some reviews of this lens and saw I was not alone in having this problem with this specific lens. I do have to rely on AF so having the actual correct and good focus is important for me. My camera is A7R IV

So for next time around I am thinking of replacing the 28-200 with something else, but what I can not seem to figure out. While I loved the range which limited how much I need to change lenses, and I know I would use the 100-400mm most of the time, I still want to get something to cover 20-150mm at least.

Sony FE 24-240mm - Reviews are less than stellar for this one, I just think I would end up unhappy with it. Seems too good to be true to have this wide a range.

Tamron 35-150mm - Too new I suspect ? Reviews are rather limited, kind of burned on Tamron, and the range again seems too good to be true.

Sony FE 24-105mm f/4 - This could fit in well, but something about starting out at F4@24mm bothers me some, certainly would give me incentive to also buy the Sony 16-35mm for wider angle low light (i.e. nighttime)

Tamron 50-400mm f/4.5-6.3 - Price seems too low, I kind of suspect this as too entry-level with a huge performance hit

Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM - I could think I might be happy with this, but I will still need to find another lens to cover the 20-70mm range and I think if I ended up getting the 16-35mm I would then need to add a third.

Pretty much certain to look at the Sony 16-35mm before my next vacation, this lens would suit me will I believe for wide landscape to nighttime (though may consider also a dedicated 1.4-1.8 20mm for this purpose in the future).

I would really appreciate any comments or advice on my options, especially if there is something I have missed.

*What I know is I do not wish to take a 2nd expensive vacation to find that one special image is ruined because the lens indicated it was focused when it simply was bad. This shot missed (actually about 8 images) was of a group of Buffalo mingling with Hippos, Wildebeast, Zebra, and Elephants in the background. And in the image not seen at the time was a Serval cat mingling with the Hippos and Buffalos, yet the quality is just not good enough to ever print. Once in a lifetime opportunity missed

Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow