can someone give me some help with the F6 and SB400 flash please?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jodad New Member • Posts: 12
can someone give me some help with the F6 and SB400 flash please?

I'm sorry all if this is in the wrong forum.

I just bought an f6 and an sb400 flash and have read the manual so many times but i just cant figure it out. all the different synch modes etc.

In the past with  my simple Leica film, when I want to use flash, its because its a bit dark. In that case id just set to 1/50 (which is the Leica m synch speed) match aperture on lens and flash head and that's it. perfect exposure every time.

With the F6, my preference is to use P mode (the reason I bought it is for easy quick shooting and an almost fool proof metering system).  If I'm in P mode which as I say is my preference, when its a bit dark, I guess it tries to balance the background and so lowers the shutter speed. This isn't what I want. How do I use the f6 with flash and not have to have slow shutter speeds? And when should I use slow synch or fast synch and rear or front synch. I don't understand them?

Anyone can give me an overview of how the flash works with this camera and my flash please? As I say, the manual doesn't help me...

and please don't suggest shooting manual and manual flash (sb400 doesn't have any buttons other than on/off   ).

P.S, I'm using matrix metering in P mode.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow