Canon 300mm 2.8L IS

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jcr67
jcr67 Senior Member • Posts: 1,588
It works, but...

Igor Sotelo wrote:

Was thinking why I don’t use much this lens, initially though it’s because it’s too heavy, but checking the specs, at 2.5 kg it’s not bad at all. Other brand 300/2.8 and 200/2 are significantly heavier.

It seems the problem may be the design of the foot, that doesn’t allow to comfortably pass the hand under and with the additional arca Swiss plate it hurts the supporting hand while trying not to move the focus ring.

It was difficult to find an replacement for the foot, but it seems Hejnar still makes them:

Any idea if this foot will work better? It adds some 214 grams to the weight, but it’s also a longer arca Swiss plate.

I purchased one for my 300 2.8L non I.S. It is well made, fits well and makes a great handle for carrying camera/lens combo. There is one major design flaw though. The channel machined into the sides to mount on arca swiss platform is not well thought out. It does no go the full length of the foot, therefore I can't center the camera and lens on a gimbal to balance naturally. I really like the quality, wish this issue didn't exist though. If you will be using it on a monopod it should be ok.

jcr67's gear list:jcr67's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EOS R6 Canon EOS R7 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow