Tamron Z 70-300 MTFs look a little disappointing....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,361
Tamron Z 70-300 MTFs look a little disappointing....

These look a little disappointing compared to the F-mount 70-300 AF-P Nikon has:

Nikon AF-P version: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/f-mount/zoom/telephotozoom/af-p_70-300mmf_45-56e_ed_vr/spec.htm

Tamron Z version (which seems to be the same design as the Sony E version):
https://www.tamron.jp/en/product/lenses/a047.html

It appears if you're on DX it's less of a concern (not unusual) as the real drop off seems to be in the corners on FF cameras. I'll probably wait to see some reviews online (review videos with samples) before deciding, but this was a bit of a shock as I was hoping for something a bit better on the short end. Then again, those who buy the lens will probably spend most of their time on the longer end of the focal range, which the two are more similar (although the Tamron Z version does seem to be a bit better -- but this is only based on the MTFs which obviously are limited in what they tell us versus a real-world sample images).

(Not to mention the Tamron is $100 more than the AFP version, but on the plus side, doesn't require the FTZ. Additionally, the AFP version is getting harder to find new as Nikon winds down their F-mount lens production.)

I guess I was more or less a little surprised at the performance based on these MTFs.  I was hoping for a bit better performance on the short end.

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow