New GFX 50s II Owner - First Day Impressions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sshapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 929
New GFX 50s II Owner - First Day Impressions

I just received a GFX 50s II and used it today while walking at a park and in downtown Richmond, Virginia. The camera came with the GF 35-70mm lens, but I used a GF 32-64mm lens instead. I will try the 35-70mm later this week and I plan to use a GF 250mm tomorrow.

My primary camera has been a Fujifilm X-T3, and although the GFX is bigger, I didn't find it uncomfortable to use or carry (via Peak Design Slide Lite strap). The camera is very solid and easy to hold. The contrast detection autofocus worked fine overall, but I did have problems with it locking on the subject a few times. I probably just need to get a better understanding of how to best use the autofocus system.

The first hour was spent at a park, mostly taking photos of leaves, trees, and wooden bridges. It wasn't the best location to showcase the camera, but it worked. I also walked around downtown Richmond, Virginia for a couple of hours and tried some architecture, street, and portrait photography. That experience was also informative. I need to adjust my shooting expectations and approach vs. when using Fujifilm APS-C cameras, but I actually enjoyed the slower pace of using the GFX camera.

The images I got look great, but I noticed that the depth of field was very narrow. Learning to use the GFX camera will take me some time, but I am willing to put the necessary time into it. When I get more confident with my workflow, I will share some images here. I look forward to learning from other members of this forum, and I thank you in advance!

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow