Camera Advice for Large Drone at Competition

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gleash New Member • Posts: 1
Camera Advice for Large Drone at Competition

Hey everyone!

I am new to cameras, and I have a big task to take on for a beginner. My college senior project involves me creating a drone with a team that can do some stuff at a competition.  Specifically for me, I have to design a camera mount that can allow for manual zoom, but it has to be done 100 feet in the air. Designing the system shouldn't be hard, however, I do not know which camera to use.  I need to get a mirrorless camera that can allow me to manually zoom using a servo, as well as transfer data in real time to a "ground control" computer. Currently, I am looking between the Sony a6000 and the Canon M50 Mk 2. I do not know what lenses to use with these, or if these cameras are the best for my job. My budget is $800 at the maximum, and I would prefer to keep it as light as possible while getting the best function. For an example of how much I would need it to be able to zoom, I have to be able to make out the shape, color, and letter/number on a standard 8.5x11 in. paper from that 100 feet in the air.  I also have to detect an "emergent object" being a mannequin dressed up with clothes, but that should be easier to detect than the paper. If anyone can help me with this, that would be super appreciated.

If it helps, this is the section of the competition that gives the rules on this section of the competition:

I appreciate the help in advance, thank you!

Canon EOS M50 II Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow