Greg and Nancy's Excellent 2022 Western Adventure Update - 1

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 9,394
Greg and Nancy's Excellent 2022 Western Adventure Update - 1

Looks like there is no new ST&C thread for this week, so I thought I'd just post this in a separate thread while I have access to internet.  Last time I posted, a couple of weeks ago, we had just wrapped up our sage grouse hunting in the super rugged and remote area where they live and were getting ready to take a "vacation" to allow the people and dogs or rest and to heal-up a for a week or so while doing some exploring.

First, we headed south to the Little Big Horn Battlefield and camped on the Crow Rez. I've never been a particualr buff of the Indian Wars - more interested in the F&I War the Tev War and WWII.  However, I am a history buff and have read about the Little Big Horn but have never seen it.

It was very interesting to hike the (vast) battlefield.  Finally, the troop movements and such that I have read about made sense.  Custer was like some of the officers I knew long go during "my" war - trying for glory without considering the cost among the enlisted men and grossly underestimating the capabilities of the enemy.

The 7th Cav troopers were buried right where they fell a few days after the battle.  So, there are grave marked scattered over miles and popping up in remote areas.  You could see clumps of markers when the various companies tried to make a stand and were overwhelmed; and long trails of markers in ones twos and threes, showing the lines of retreat.

These two men fell on a lonely ridge, far from the touristy parts of the battlefield.  I thought the storm rolling in as I took the pic was appropriate.  As a vet, I found this place sad and evocative.

Probably appropriately, much of the battlefield is part of the Crow Rez and there were Indian horses grazing on the same slopes where their ancestors carried their riders into combat in 1876.

The sunsets and star/satellite gazing from our "front yard" were both superb.

Next, we explored and hiked the Big Horn Mountains.  Much to my surprise, they easily rival Glacier and Yellowstone for critters and spectacular scenery, but with no tourists (except us, of course).  I wasn't able to capture the feeling and spectacle in my images, sadly.  A real failing as a wanna-be photographer.

Each day we hiked into a different remote lake in the mountains for lunch:

High up, near the ancient Indian holy place of Medicine Wheel, there was snow:

We were supposed to be taking tm off from the hunting, but I did sneak in a little sharptail grouse hunt or two. A Bliss point:

We explored the Big Horns as far west as Cody, Wyoming.  The Buffalo Bill Museum is very much worth a visit.  I could have spent a week there.  We had dinner at the Irma Hotel, built by Buffalo Bill and had to check out the famous original 1902 bar:

Next, we headed down south into SD.  You don't see signs like this in Pennsylvania:

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow