Sony 100-400 and dust (vs 200-600) for travel AND wildlife :)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pyndle Junior Member • Posts: 41
Sony 100-400 and dust (vs 200-600) for travel AND wildlife :)

Hello,

I know many people have already posted that debate about the 100-400 and 200-600 and basically the answer is usually the first for travel and the latter for wildlife, but my problem is that I do both (and never one in isolation)  I usually travel for several weeks/months, backpacking from country to country, and often on the look for special wildlife. And I live in a city so I never do trips ONLY for wildlife. Always wildlife, lifestyle and landscape/astro.

Now my kit is the following: 
A7IV + Sony 14mm F1.8 + Sigma 28-70 F2.8

The 100-400 with a 1.4x TC is interesting for macro, landscape at 100/150, and is almost as good as the 200-600 at 560. My only concern is dust: I do a lot of safaris and rough condition shootings - how bad does it get for the lens? I've actually never had to deal with that, does it cost a lot to get dust removed from the lens? Can it be done at any shop or is it a technical operation that requires me to send my lens to Sony and wait a few weeks? Is it that big of a deal if there is some dust inside? (surely it's not as bad as when there's dust on the sensor?) Are there extensible protections that could limit this problem?

I don't mind carrying the 200-600 but I'm more worried about the gap between 70 and 200 that I will have (based on my previous 5 years of shooting APS-C, I don't use that range (FF equivalent) much but still useful). And also the 200-600 doesn't fit in my lowepro flipside trek 450 (which I love).

Any insight on the dust issue would be really helpful!

Thank you

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow