Question about a6100 and a bit about prime lenses for it

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Balderr New Member • Posts: 3
Question about a6100 and a bit about prime lenses for it

I recently decided to switch to mirrorless (from DSLR) and went for a6100 since I photography is a hobby and I don't want to spend too much money on it. I currently have two lenses, kit 16-50 and Sigma 30mm f2.8 Art. I have two, hopefully simple questions.

1. Slow startup. With kit lens I understand that it needs a couple of seconds to extend it, but even with Sigma, my camera still needs 2-3 seconds to get ready. Since my DSLR was instantly ready to shoot after turning on, this is quite a problem. Especially since mirrorless eat battery much faster. Is this due to lenses or camera? What can I do?
  2. I'm looking into Sigma 56mm f1.4 and I'd like to know if (aside from instant turn on xD) I would get full sensor phase detection autofocus, since it works only in the middle for 30mm f2.8. This I learned only after I bought the lens since reviewers mostly didn't talk about that, but since autofocus was one of the main reasons for switching to MLC, I'd really like a lens that works better than my DSLR, not the same. I guess that Sony 50mm f1.8 works great, but I like the additional 6mm and larger aperature. So, is Sigma 56mm f1.4 much slower than Sony 50mm f1.8 when it comes to autofocus across the entire frame? How about the same Viltrox?

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow