An unusual encounter - Echidna with the 27mm

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 8,389
An unusual encounter - Echidna with the 27mm

Hi,

I've been experimenting lately with lighter combinations and have been hiking with - and enjoying - the 16/2.8 and 27WR as a minimalist kit. If my pack's light I'll add the 60mm. The three cover a lot of what I like to shoot in the way of landscapes and things in the landscape. They're quite a capable kit in little weight.

A 'thing' that surprised me last weekend was coming across this Echidna on the trail. These guys are a monotreme, one of our egg-laying mammals. They feed by locating ants by scent, then digging into the surface and inserting their long sticky tongue down into the ant tunnels.) It's not so unusual to encounter an Echidna here, but it's a bit unusual that they ignore you without digging themselves in. (They normally respond to humans by quickly digging in so that only their spines remain at the surface - they're very strong and once dug-in, they're impregnable.)

This one just went about his digging and foraging for ants while I snapped away at point blank range.  He made quite a mess of the trail surface. Quickly.  I was amazed - it was hard packed by thousands of boots... I (and my camera) got showered by clawfuls if dirt flicked out of his excavations... All taken with the XT4 and 27mm. I was lucky - he took off into impenetrable scrub after feeding for a minute or two.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow